Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore!"

"Q" is for Quoth in the A to Z Challenge

I've been an Edgar Allen Poe fan for as long as I can remember. I guess it started with the Roger Corman movies starring Vincent Price, Peter Lorre, and Boris Karloff.




I believe the first story I ever read of Poe's was the Tell Tale Heart, followed by the Cask of Amontillado and The Pit and The Pendulum. I was beside myself with glee when a Simpson's episode came on with none other than James Earl Jones narrating Poe's The Raven. Here's the video in all its glory:



Poe lived in Richmond, Virginia, and attended the University of Virginia in Charlottesville. The Poe Museum in Virginia is reported to be blocks from where he actually lived, and "the old stone house" which is home to the museum is purported to be the oldest dwelling standing in Richmond.


Poe Museum in Richmond VA

Statue of Poe at Poe Museum, Richmond, VA.
Photo from PoeStories.com


Dorm room at University of Virginia in Charlottesville which is believed to have been Poe's
Poe statue in Capitol Square, Richmond, VA

Richmond also has a Poe's Pub where you can enjoy some nightlife entertainment.

Poe's mother's grave is located at St. John's Church in Richmond. (It is the same church where Patrick Henry delivered his "Give me liberty, or give me death!" speech)

Grave of Elizabeth Arnold Poe

Even though Poe neither was born nor died in Richmond, efforts have been successful at making the city a destination for those with an interest in Poe's life. It is a lesson any town can take a cue from.

Oops... almost forgot. There is a new Poe movie coming out, The Raven. Warning, it is a little gory:



"Q" is for Quoth the raven, "Nevermore", and April is Parkinson's Awareness Month



6 comments:

  1. Very cool! I need to check that place out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too thrilled over the old Corman films and those produced by Hammer Studios. I've long been a Poe fan. Oddly though, as long as I lived in Richmond and as many times as I've gone back there, I don't recall ever having visited any of the Poe sites. The museum was always high on my list, but I just never managed to take the time to go there.


    Lee
    An A to Z Co-Host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the coolest thing about the Poe museum is the model of the city of Richmod depicting the city in Poe's time. There is also the most remarkable marble statue, the Actor's Memorial to Poe, which simply has to be seen in person.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing this...Poe has fascinated me ever since I read his first short story..

    Look forward to the rest of your challenge run…can’t believe we’ve had 17 days already!
    --Damyanti, Co-host A to Z Challenge April 2012

    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  4. An amazing tribute to one of our greatest poets and writers. Thanks! I enjoyed your post very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome post! I love Poe - I can't remember a time when I didn't.

    ReplyDelete